So Much for Putting Schools First
Amid an unprecedented economic crisis, special interests are pushing Prop 15, the split roll tax initiative (Schools and Communities First Funding Act), on the November ballot. However, Prop 15 contains no reforms to hold local politicians accountable. There is no guarantee that our tax dollars will be spent in the classroom.
Schools are the lowest priority in Prop 15. Only about 30% of the tax revenue generated from this initiative will go to our classrooms. On the other hand, about 70% of the new money goes to the state and local governments to spend however they want. Politicians can waste the new tax money on outside consultants, pay raises, retiree pensions and benefits.
Prop 15 prioritizes bureaucrats first and education last. By “putting schools first”, Prop 15 will destroy Prop 13’s property tax protections and be the largest property tax increase in California history. The initiative will raise taxes on business property, leading to higher rents for small businesses. Ultimately, Prop 15 will make income inequality worse by driving up the cost of living for just about everything we need and use, like food, utilities, daycare and healthcare.